How to apply

Applications for the programme need to be submitted online through the university’s application platform Campo. Applying for the programme is a straightforward process. We recommend preparing electronic copies of all documents required (see the list below) but you can also save your application and finish it later. It will only be assessed if it is complete and formally submitted before the final deadline.

You need to first create an account at the university’s IdM portal. Then you can log in to Campo with your username and password to create and submit your application.

Applications are only accepted through Campo. Documents sent by email or post will not be accepted.

You will be required to upload:

  1. Certified copies of your previous university degree(s), including transcript(s) of records and, if available, diploma supplement(s). Please see the university website for instructions on the required certification.
  2. Official translation of all your academic documents if they are not originally issued in English, German or French.
  3. Proof of your professional and voluntary experiences in the form of, for example, recommendation letters or work contracts—your CV is not sufficient as proof! If these documents are not in English or German, we also need a simple translation.
  4. Simple copy of your school leaving certificate and an official translation if it is not in English, German or French.
  5. Your CV.
  6. Proof of English language skills.
  7. A short application essay (appr. 1–3 pages) guided by the following questions:
    1. What is the relevance of your professional and/or voluntary experience specifically to the field of human rights?
    2. Describe a specific instance of a human rights violation and explain why you think this constitutes a human rights violation.
    3. What do you think is the biggest human rights issue in your country? Why?
  8. If your first university degree is based on less than 3.5 years of full-time studies (equivalent to 210 ECTS), you also need to fill out an additional assessment as part of the application form.
  9. Applicants from China, India and Vietnam also need to upload their APS certificate.

If you are admitted, the certified copies and translations of your university documents as well as simple copies and translations of your high school leaving documents also need to be sent by post to the university’s student records office for enrolment. Detailed instructions will be provided in the enrolment request.

How to use Campo

Please watch FAU’s video on how to apply using Campo.  Please note, however, that the contents of the application form as such differ a little for the M.A. Human Rights, and that you are required to show proof of English language skills, not German.